Pages

Oct 1, 2010

Homemade Clorox Wipes (Merrick)


Because several of you asked so nicely, I went on the hunt to find a way to make homemade clorox wipes. Turns out it's pretty darn easy, and surprisingly similar to making homemade baby wipes. I found probably five different recipes for it, and here is the common theme:

Homemade Clorox Wipes

1/2 roll extra strong paper towels (I've heard Bounty is good..)
2 and 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup bleach

Cut your roll of paper towels in half and place in your tupperware (just like with the baby wipes). Boil water, add bleach, pour over paper towels. Remove wet cardboard tube. To use, pull out wipes one at a time from center.



Also, here's another recipe if you want something a little more natural (aka. no bleach)

Natural Disinfectant Wipes

1 cup witch hazel
1/2 teaspoon tea tree oil or peppermint oil (natural disinfectant)
1/2 cup water

Prepare your paper towels in the tupperware. Mix the three ingredients together and pour over your paper towels. Remove tube.

8 comments:

BrittWilk said...

i think i'm going to go the natural direction... but i think i'm going to try mine with white vinegar + baking soda since together they are antibacterial and not very strong scent/taste wise since i don't want to wipe my counter with bleach and then chop tomatoes on it. i'll let you know how they turn out! :) thanks, merrick!

Jenna said...

I love this idea... but I had a couple of questions, 1) when I make bleach wipes can I just reuse an old clorox wipes container? I hate to buy something new if I could just reuse it 2) is there some special reason that you take the cardboard out at the end? it seems like you could use a bigger roll if you took it out before. thanks!

Unknown said...

Jenna: I would definitely re-use a clorox wipe container.

As far as the cardboard roll, I think keeping it in until the end makes the roll hold together when you pour in the liquid. Otherwise the roll would probably mush together. But you might as well try both ways just to see if it works and does allow you to use a bigger roll.

Good luck!

Packrat said...

I missed this post. Thanks! I'll be using my old containers, if no one throws them away first...

Disinfectant Wipes said...

I like this idea! , we've been making the transition to cloth. We don't have kids yet so it's been working out ok. I will keep this in mind when we have little ones - thanks!

Disinfectant Wipes said...

Yes this is a good home-made disinfecting wipe and its now safe for young kids crawling on the floor and touching all stuff at home.

Alan McCoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Disinfectant Wipes said...

we should always wash our hands with disinfectant hand wipes as antibacterial wipes have the ability to kill the bacteria and they are proven source of hygienic and cleaning.