Pages

Sep 24, 2010

Homemade Wipes: Part 2 (Merrick)

Two weeks ago we had a guest post by the lovely Britt, of the Skinny Bovine's Kitchen, where she taught us to make homemade wipes.

Have you tried them yet?? I haven't yet, but I'm looking forward to saving tons of money and having some bragging rights about the fact that, you know, I make my own baby wipes.

Well Britt has kindly provided us with some photos of her wipes, which will probably make your project a little easier.




Also, just for your convenience, here are the directions again:

Buy a Rubbermaid, Servin' Saver, 6 cup container. I know you can find them in a 3 pack (with 1 bigger and 1 smaller) but I haven't had much luck finding them by themselves. They are pretty much exactly the shape of 1/2 a roll of paper towels, with a rounded-edge square lid.

The paper towels that fit perfectly (once cut in half with a sharp knife) in them are the regular Bounty ones (not jumbo roll, I buy the 8 pack, makes 16 batches of wipes). I use 1/2 a wipe at a time. Though we recently discovered that the bigger roll Bounty towels that are separated into 1/2 size paper towels work great too if you just tear off a few of the paper towels before you cut them. Then they are already 1/2 sized and you don't have to tear them. (This is my husband's preference). My aunts swear by homemade wipes, but they also say that Bounty is the only brand that really works, so I haven't experimented much there.

To make them: stuff 1/2 a roll of paper towels into your tub. In a bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups water + 1 heaping Tb baby soap (I use the Wal-Mart brand Johnson & Johnsons copy). Pour over the top of the wipes. They probably need an hour to soak all the way through and then you can just pull out the cardboard in the middle and you're good to go.


Thanks for sharing your awesome saving tip, Britt!

4 comments:

Lisa C said...

I'm glad you did the follow up because I've been meaning to comment. It seems like I could come up with this easily enough on my own, but I'd be interested in someone else doing the foot work if possible. What about homemade Clorox wipes? I mean, basically the same thing but with bleach? Any recipes for that?

Packrat said...

I've got to try these. Thanks. Hints: (maybe this was mentioned before) don't be afraid to cut purchased wipes into smaller pieces. Store them in the an airtight container.

If you have wipes that are really sturdy, you can wash them at least once. Throw the messy ones away, and wash the ones that were just used on a wet bottom.

Kimberly said...

I'm wondering how soft they get? It seems like paper towels are pretty scratchy. Then again, I'd love some homemade Clorox wipes (good idea, Lisa!) so maybe I'll make those first and see how they feel.

Soutenus said...

I love this idea and have done the same (long ago and far away as I am 51 now! LOL) I, too, used J&J back then.
BUT, I have learned that Johnson and Johnson and Walmart's Equate brand are being sued (by the state of NJ) in a class action lawsuit for carcinogens in their products. One of the culprits is Q-15. Yes, there is definitely more than one ingredient that is listed in the lawsuit.

Lest you think I am soliciting (which I, most certainly am not) I will tell you I found your blog through a friend of a friend -- more specifically -- my friend listed a blog she liked and when I visited that blog your blog was linked to it.)

I work with a company that has natural products and, of course, I am partial to them but I would implore any mother to use SOME kind of natural product -- I do not care if it is my company or not.

The ingredients in products that the American and Canadian public trusts are often horrendous!
If you can afford Trader Joe's or WholeFoods - go for it.

My company is wholesale so it fits other budgets or those who choose not to use extra money in this area.
But find SOMETHING other than the products with Q-15 (a formaldehyde releasing agent), methylene chloride and 1,4 dioxane.

I value frugality and quality and I have really been enjoying your blog!

Here is the URL address for the J&J lawsuit info: http://the-best-nest.blogspot.com/2010/11/lawsuit-proceeds-on-johnson-johnsons.html